Rural Hub

Rural landlords must budget for energy efficiency upgrades

2 mins

Rural businesses in England and Wales with let residential property will need to prepare for the introduction of new rules requiring them to spend £3,500 per property to pay for energy efficiency upgrades.

Since the introduction of Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) regulations on 1 April 2018, landlords have been prevented from granting a lease to a new or existing tenant on properties with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) below an E grade.

However, to date, landlords have been able to apply for an exemption to allow a property below an E grade to be let if they can prove that the improvements required cannot be funded by a third party.

This is because the original regulations were drafted on the assumption that landlords would be able to access Green Deal or other third-party funding and were not expected to pay for the work themselves.

However, the government has now decided that it will remove the current ‘no cost to the landlord’ provision and make landlords liable for a financial contribution, capped at £3,500 (inclusive of VAT) to bringing any rental properties up to standard.

Although this is not a surprise, this is a decision that may prove particularly costly to rural landlords, as they are often renting out older properties, which can be harder to bring up to minimum energy standards.

The government is yet to confirm exactly when the new rules will come into effect, but we expect it to be early 2019.

In the meantime, rural landlords should review what improvement works would be required to upgrade sub-standard properties and budget accordingly.

Landlords who find themselves with a substandard property that cannot be improved to an E grade for £3,500 or less should be able to apply for a new ‘high cost’ exemption.

However, it is understood that landlords will still be required to carry out recommended energy improvement works up to the cap and it is at this point if the property does not achieve at least an E rating, the ‘high cost’ exemption can be registered.

Any investment in energy efficiency works made since October 2017 will be counted within the £3,500 cap, along with any available third-party funding.

MEES regulations apply to all residential and commercial property where a new letting is being conducted, or a lease is being renewed. The regulations are designed to establish minimum efficiency standards across privately-rented homes.

Alice Robinson
Associate Director, Land Management
Send a message to Alice Robinson
2 mins

Related Articles


COVID-19 insights on retail, offices and residential lettings

Our professional and research teams working across the wider Strutt & Parker and BNP Paribas Real Estate businesses have produced a number of ‘notes from the market’ updates on how different real estate markets have been affected by COVID-19 and offering advice to property owners.   Topics include: Residential letting impacts Retail impacts Office market impacts Student accommodation Please […]

Low-carbon alternatives to gas and oil central heating

For decades, fossil fuel boilers have been the heating system of choice in British homes. It is estimated that eight out of ten homes currently rely on gas, with most users viewing it as a clean, reliable, safe and cost-effective form of central heating. The remaining users opting for heating oil which is viewed as cleaner than […]

How landlords can plan for new electrical safety check rules

Regulations introducing new electrical safety check rules in the private rented sector in England are expected to come into force later this year in a bid to improve safety for tenants. The new rules, likely to become a legal requirement from this summer, mean landlords – including estates and farm businesses with let residential property […]

Top tips on managing condensation in your home

Condensation is a common problem in older houses and it can get worse over the Christmas period when more people in the home, can mean extra showers, washing and cooking. The signs of condensation are obvious – water running down windows and walls, damp patches, peeling wallpaper and mildew – with common problem areas including […]

Talk to us

Want to talk to us about our rural specialisms? Send us a message and we will make sure it gets to the right person.

Please write your name
Please write a message

Sign up

Sign up to be notified when we launch new publications so you’re always ahead of the research.

Please write your name
Please write a correct email address
Send me updates about
Please tick a box