Rural Hub

Class MA permitted development rights

2 mins

The government has introduced new permitted development rights to allow for the change of use from commercial, business use and service use (Class E) to residential use (Class C3), opening up new opportunities for farmers and landowners.

It follows a shakeup of use classes in September 2020, when a new Class E definition was introduced to cover a wide range of uses. Class E replaced the previous use classes of A1, 2 and 3 (retail, financial services and cafés/restaurants); B1a, b and c (offices, research establishments and light industry) and D1 and 2 (health clinics, nurseries and gyms).

The idea behind having a new wider Class E designation was to allow buildings to be used more flexibly, without needing to seek planning permission. However, it should be noted that not all commercial activities fall within Class E, for example, B2 (general industrial) and B8 (storage and distribution) use classes remain unchanged and therefore will be excluded from Class MA permitted development rights.

The new Class MA rights will take effect from 1 August 2021, with existing arrangements for the change of use from offices and retail to residential applying until then.

It will apply to buildings that have been in commercial, business and service use for two years and have been vacant for three continuous months prior to the application for prior approval.

There is a 1,500 square metre limit on the amount of floor space that can be switched to residential use in any building.

The right will be subject to the prior approval by the local planning authority in respect to:

  • transport impacts of the development, particularly to ensure safe site access;
  • contamination risks in relation to the building;
  • flooding risks in relation to the building;
  • impacts of noise from commercial premises on the intended occupiers of the development;
  • impact on the character and sustainability of a conservation area;
  • the provision of adequate natural light in all habitable rooms of the dwellinghouses;
  • the impact residents of the development in an area the authority considers to be important for general or heavy industry, waste management, storage and distribution, or a mix of such uses
  • the impact of the loss of services such as health centres and registered nurseries.

Unlike other permitted development for residential use, these new rights apply to buildings in conservation areas.

Development must be completed within a period of three years starting with the prior approval date.

Alice Robinson
Senior Associate Director, Land Management
Send a message to Alice Robinson
2 mins

Related Articles


Planning use classes – September 2020

It has become an increasingly popular practice in recent years for rural landowners to diversify by changing the use of redundant agricultural buildings to commercial uses, falling within Use Class B1 (office, research and development, industrial processes). Changes to planning use classes, which came into force on 1st September 2020, present an opportunity for further […]

Planning White Paper – what does it mean for rural areas?

The government has recently published its long-awaited Planning for the Future White Paper which sets out its vision for a radical reform of the current planning system, with an apparent overarching intention to modernise it, and speed up decision-making. The White Paper confirms the much-talked-about plans for zoning land into three categories: growth areas suitable […]

Planning permission deadlines extended until 2021

The government has agreed to extend planning permission deadlines in England in a move which will support landowners with development interests. Recent data published by the government estimated that by the end of June 2020, more than 400 residential permissions providing more than 24,000 new homes would have expired since the start of lockdown with […]

Covid-19: Impact on the planning system and strategic development

The following is a round-up from Strutt & Parker’s national planning team on changes to the planning system as a result of Covid-19, including key considerations for landowners with strategic land. Planning consents The government’s guidance to local planning authorities is to ensure the planning system continues to function, especially where this will support the […]

Talk to us

Want to talk to us about our rural specialisms? Send us a message and we will make sure it gets to the right person.

Please write your name
Please write a message

Sign up

Sign up to be notified when we launch new publications so you’re always ahead of the research.

Please write your name
Please write a correct email address
Send me updates about
Please tick a box